Graffiti Love

>> Sunday, September 27, 2009

Not many people know this, but I have a deep love for graffiti. The bold colours, the stylization, the statement that they make. I love the fact that writers (graff-artists) can express themselves so freely, yet tread on the edge of the forbidden.

I know, I know...most graffiti is frowned upon. Especially if its a business building of your own that gets tagged, and it is considered vandalising. But have you ever really looked at it? I know some people think "Well I can spray my name all over with a can of spray paint. What's so hard about that?" Have you ever looked at some of those tags? Most writers spend enormous amounts of time getting their own "tag" style right, and recognizable. So it is definitely not slap-dash most of the time. And some of the murals? Positively to die for! I mean, what these guys can do with a can of spray paint!! I wish I could do that. I just love it. *sigh*

I love graffiti! I think it's the bold use of colours that really attracted me at first. Look at some of these: Skull by the Mac , Reyes (pics taken by funkandjazz), High Caliber mural (several artists) (pic taken by Chele in LA) and Laneway (pic taken by princess_lotta). Wow!! I would love a canvas of some of those!

It makes me think about how it will be in the future; when our descendants see these graphic murals and wonder what our society was like at that time. Like the cave paintings, eh? LOL! Definitely not cave paintings are these :)

I know I'm just rambling on :) That's how my mind works...just tumbling over and over.

There is a whole point to this post actually, other than the graffiti love. More graffiti actually. Mine to be exact :) Last May, I took Alisa Burke's Graffiti Chic class, and it was AWESOME! I loved it. Alot of it was common sense, but she put a whole new spin on it. I kept thinking "Why didn't I think if that?" the whole time I was doing this class. We did paint splatters, stencilling, spraypainting, lots of layers, lettering (another love of mine). Basically, just getting down right messy. I admit, that was the hardest part for me to do. To let go, and just "go with the flow". But I can tell you, since doing this class I have a whole new appreciation for "messy art". It's way more fun!!!

I did two canvases for Alisa's class. I had some el cheapo framed canvas that I just cut out of their frames. It was primed already (but had a slight gloss to it that I did like...hmmm....I'm assuming its gesso, but had something else with it? I wonder...) , so I didn't have to do anything to it. We didn't have to prime our canvas/fabric/paper if we didn't want to. And away we went!!

So here are my two canvases that I did:

"Flight of Fancy" by Melissa Muir (Lagaz)

"Amour Ambigram" by Melissa Muir (Lagaz)

With these two canvases I sewed a tote bag for myself. Which I love! It's big and roomy, and best of all I made it myself! I've gotten lots of compliments also. To see some of the other students work please check it out on Alisa's blog here, amazing art all around!

Alisa is offering the Part 2 of the Graffit Chic class in January 2010. I will definitely be taking that!

0 comments:

Artist Trading Cards

ATCsforALL IllustratedATCs Art Trader Magazine

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP