Artist Trading Cards (ATCs)...

>> Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dolphin & Hummingbird Totem"Dolphin & Hummingbird Totem" by Melissa Muir Hand-drawn, colorized in Photoshop. August 2007

I have discovered another way to show my art! It is called Artist Trading Cards. Basically, you make your art in any medium, sized 2.5" x 3.5". Then you trade it with someone else. No selling/buying involved. Its a great way to see the different ways art can be produced, even if it is on a small scale. I thought that this would be a great addition to an after school art class that I'm helping my friend Darla with. Doing art at this size, probably wouldn't be so much of an intimidation, as a larger scale can be. At ATCards.com, they even have a list of which members do trades with children.

I wanted to try it out beforehand, to see how easy the trading can be arranged. My first trade is with Jenn. She saw my "Eagle - Love" card (Part of the Seven Scared Grandfather Teachings series that I am doing. Will be in next post), and asked to trade for that. We discussed, and so decided that we would do a 2/2 trade. I make two cards, she makes two cards, and we trade. So she gets my Eagle card, and another card.

I made her the Dolphin & Hummingbird card, as I wanted to give her a totem card. I asked a few questions so that we could figure out what would be relevant to her. The Hummingbird was definitely her, and the Dolphin seems to be in her life recently, so I included that also.

Properties of Hummingbird:

  • Ability to heal by using its mouth (Communication)

  • Endurance

  • Joy

  • Happiness

  • Love

Properties of Dolphin:
  • Communication Skills

  • Bringer of change

  • Wisdom

  • Balance

  • Harmony

  • Freedom

  • Trust

  • Understanding the power of rhythm in life

I wanted to try my hand at Northwest Coast style again. It is not easy, especially when you are not exposed to it very often! So this is just my interpretation. I think it came out wonderfully. I am very proud of it. I did a hand drawing of it first, then scanned it into my computer, and cleaned it up in Photoshop. Then I just coloured it in. So much easier than trying to erase over and over again! I showed it to Jenn, and she loved it!

Lobster Totem "Lobster Totem" by Melissa Muir. Hand-drawn, colorized in Photoshop. August 2007.

This is an extra card for Jenn. When I asked her questions about certain animals showing up in her life, she mentioned a lot about her father, and that she dreams of lobsters. Her dad being a commercial fisherman, this made sense. I thought it would be a good idea to make one for her Dad. So it's a surprise, and I hope she likes it.

Properties of Lobster:
  • Concentration

  • Coordination

  • Understands when to follow not lead

  • The power of simplicity

  • Ability to transcend the mind/ego

If everything goes well, I will definitely be making more cards to trade!

0 comments:

Artist Trading Cards

ATCsforALL IllustratedATCs Art Trader Magazine

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP