Well here goes...

>> Monday, July 30, 2007

Rock Wall LoonI think I will start off with a couple of pictures of a mural that I did where I work. This is only a small part of a bigger mural, which measures 26' x 10'. I didn't post a bigger one because, the pictures that I took of it were horrible. So I only took pictures of different portions of the mural.

The mural is for a rock wall at the Junior High, where I work as an educational assistant. The Vice-Principal wanted an image where the students could gauge where they are while climbing the rock wall, but wanted something that would reflect the school. I was really excited to do this mural. It was a big job, bigger than I have ever done before. I wanted it to be colorful, and full of Aboriginal symbology. Our Junior High has a high Aboriginal population, so I wanted to incorporate this within the school. Also it didn't hurt that I am of Aboriginal descent myself . It doesn't have a title unfortunately. Maybe someday. Mineral. Plant. Animal. Human.

This image here with the man, animal, plant and rock are from a Hopi Indian legend.

"There was the cycle of the mineral, the rock. There was the cycle of the plant. And now we’re in the cycle of the animal coming to the end of that and beginning the cycle of the human being. When we get into the cycle of the human being, the highest and greatest powers that we have will be released to us. They will be released from that light or soul that we carry to the mind. But right now we're coming to the end of the animal cycle and we have investigated ourselves and learned what it is to be like an animal on this earth."

-by Lee Brown, 1986
Continental Indigenous
Council,
Tanana Valley Fairgrounds, Fairbanks, Alaska

I really identified with this particular legend. I feel that everyone has the potential to reach their highest goals. I work with so many students who feel that they aren't worth it, or they're stupid, but they are not. I wanted that to be a symbol at our school, that with a little guidance you can do it.

1 comments:

Evil Twin July 30, 2007 at 7:18 PM  

About time! :) I linked it for mom and dad to see!

Artist Trading Cards

ATCsforALL IllustratedATCs Art Trader Magazine

  © Blogger template Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP